Friday, May 25, 2012

My Own

Summer 2010, I got my driver's license. I felt liberated. I could finally go and do all of the things I wanted to, without needing someone to drive me around. And what was the first thing I did? Drove to Satwa (one of Dubai's oldest markets), bought lovely cotton jersey fabric, drove to my trusty tailor, and designed a few tops that were light and breezy enough to make the heat tolerable, while still modestly covering myself to be compatible with a hijab on. I had initially only made it for myself to use when we travel, but after I showed my cousin, she made me realise it was a great business venture.

And that's when it started.

 Here are a few pictures of my first few pieces I designed.

 This one's a very loose cut in cotton jersey. I used a beige bow belt (from TopShop) here, but the tops actually come with matching ropes that are braided, with holes on the front sides of the shirt to loop through, and make it a bit more feminine. This was my first design and are still the most popular because of how airy and cool they are, and because there's no need to layer!
This is a shirt of pure silk, with vintage gold buttons and similar ropes on the side just to catch the front of the top.



 This, personally, is a favourite of mine. It's just too comfortable. Wearing it gives me the same feeling as getting out of skinny jeans and into pyjamas. Super breezy, cotton maxi dresses. Perfect for relaxing in the summer by the beach or for long sunny days!















Everything comes in a range of colours, and are by order (so if there are specific requests like making something shorter or longer, it is possible). They're usually ready within a few days.

I usually can only design a few months of the year when I'm back in Dubai, which is why I only have a chance to come up with a few good cuts. Last year, I was in such a rush, I couldn't even take proper pictures of my newer designs- these are only pictures of a few of my initial designs. My more recent designs were of dresses that were catered for evening wear, and not necessarily for the hijab. I also designed leopard print silk harem pants and a maxi skirt, which I made in block colours and with different patterns.

 It's always so much fun designing and planning a photoshoot. Thankfully, I have friends who are great models and are always willing to help me out! Hopefully, this summer I'm going to be in Dubai all summer and I'm planning on just focusing on designing! I'm REALLY excited about it. I'm going to branch out and work with all sorts of fabrics and cuts. I'm already planning my next photoshoot, and a sketchbook full of new designs. I hope I don't disappoint!

Please do contact me if anyone's interested in ordering anything, or if you have any questions.

e-mail: f.eshaq@gmail.com

Enjoy. :)

X
Feryal

No comments:

Post a Comment